Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Day 2 Paraguay

I´m being lazy and trying to make the bus home (with no definite bus schedule), so in an effort to keep everyone updated, I´m quickly copying some emails that I sent home.

Day 2 Paraguay:

I am alive and well in Guarambare. Just left school for the day. A nice guy agreed to wait with me at the nearest internet cafe and ride the bus with me back to our satellite communities. I live with a GREAT family. I am their seven PC person. I have my own room with a bed and fan, a cupboard with a key and a door with a lock. They also have electricity, a shower, toilet, fridge, etc. My host dad is Gregorio and he works at a chemical plant. My host dad is Graciela and my host siblings are Noelia, 21 year old university student (she lives in the dorm, but came to meet me last night) 12 year old Javier and 4 year old Dina. Last night we had homemade pizza (we later learned at school most of the moms made that for their American kids) ham and cheese and they made an entire plate of tomato and cucumber salad, which I later figured out was just for me. They also have a dog named Wendy. We have mangos, guavas, tangerines, limes and star fruit trees in our yard. Gregorio´s aunts and uncles live next door and a girl named Nicole actually lives with them so we can walk to school together. Also Josh, lives down the street with Gregorio´s brother.

The training center people are all very nice and friendly. I had a language interview today and I think I will be put straight in Guarani. M´baechapa? Ipora nde? (Hey, how are you? I´m good and you?) Che chevera Stephanie. (My name is Stephanie.) I try not to think about the usefulness of the language after PC and just have fun learning it for the moment. The rest of the staff, both American and Paraguayan, are very warm and friendly.

That´s all I can really think of right now and I don´t want to keep him waiting. Oh! This internet cafe has skype and there are four cafes here total in town, so log on Skype from time to time and I can bring my headphones or use some here. I dont get a phone until I´m sworn in, but I´ll buy a phone card the next time we go to Asuncion. (They ushered us straight to Guarambare from the airport and I don´t believe we can get one here and I´m in a tiny town with dirt roads, so I´ll get one soon.) Anyways, throughout my three months of training the days we come into Guarambare for All PC trainings (most of our training occurs in one of the four satellite towns, depending on our assignment, mine being rural health) Internet is only 5 Mil for an hora, so like 9 cents. Avy´a Paraguaipe (I´m happy to be in Paraguay) so no worries about me! If someone could send me one of those little boxes that you put on a toothbrush head, as I already knocked one of my toothbrushes on the bathroom floor while washing my face, that would be wonderful.

More indepth explanations and travel plan details when I´m not rushed by training, irregular bus schedules, and kind people waiting on me to travel home in the buddy system.

Miss everyone!

1 comment: